The Blog:

Writing my universes into the stone of the internet, one blog post at a time.

Monday 23 May 2011

One: Introductions.


Hi, my names Harley Davis, no, really it is. I'm 26 years old as of writing this, out of a job and with a whole slew of problems that really don't need to be dissected here. Long story short, I appear to be the poster boy for the hopeless shut in, but you should not let that stop you from trying. In that spirit, I found ways to alleviate my problems and writing has become one of them, something that has mercilessly grabbed me and refuses to let go, and I'm enjoying it immensely. 

Most of my life I had flirted with the idea of writing, putting down concepts, silly things like MMO boss mechanics. From that I spent a few lazy afternoons talking with a friend about it, bouncing ideas off each other and at the time I was watching an old anime show that I have long lost interest in, but nostalgia had grabbed me after hearing one of its musical scores again and I decided to revisit my favourite part of it.
One thing began to niggle at me, Why does this show have all of its strong female figures drop off from scaling with the men as the show progressed. The setting had a focus point on inner power, why not just have a woman who overflows with that, and not physical strength?

I refer to Dragon Ball Z, something that I found extremely enjoyable as a teenager. I decided to pursue a line of imagination on it, I am aware that Akira Toriyama created three women to fill different rolls, Bulma's the smart girl, Chi-chi the tough yet loving motherly figure and 18 was a brawler in her own timeframe. I think he created the three of them extremely well.

So what did I come up with? Well, a few reasoning's as to how this character could scale well within the constraints of the universe.
One: She had the power to absorb energy attacks and store it.
Two: That power increased her maximum "pool" as well, not equal to the absorbed amount.
Three: She had a pair of gauntlets that could be empowered to give her matching physical strength at the cost of burning off her energy pool.
Four: As she developed as a character, following the show's plotline, her ability to absorb power expanded, from been pure melee to been able to absorb everything around her in small amounts.
Five: She was cast in my mind as a darker character due to her vampiric nature, a anti-hero much like Piccolo.
Six: She was a technical, strategic fighter, not a brute force one.
This last attribute sort of made her slightly overpowered for the setting, someone who could drain the power of her attackers, who could fight smartly and use the arrogance of her opponents "cat and mouse" games against them? She was perfectly set to curb stomp almost every villain in that setting, not a good thing. I'd like to believe that I gave her a fitting reason for been set to dominate, not just "I'm great at everything I do" as justification. 

I gave these ideas to a friend, whom looked past the obvious fan fiction nature of it, and said that this is too interesting a concept to just waste away as idle fancy, and at the time I had pitched a very silly concept for a book to him as well.
Fish men fought by government agents with lightning cannons. Yeah, let's not go there.
Anyway, what was his suggestion? Try it, and so I did, and here we are, two years later with a concept that has grown, evolved and completely moved away from its original inception, Fan fiction cast addition meets fish demons and fries them with Tesla rifles. Ught.

So, here we are. Welcome to my blog and my world, and thank you for reading, I'll try to keep it shorter in the future so I don't keep you here for too long each time you return.

No comments:

Post a Comment